Monday, January 11, 2010

Pick your battles

I'm at a point where I think I'm going to give up trying to get book signings scheduled in Borders bookstores. I'm going in circles, always ending up with a recorded message which tells me nothing about how to proceed. Ugh!

I guess I should explain.... In order for a book to be sold at the Borders bookstores, every book has to have Borders specific BINC#. This is on top of having your book be "returnable" from the publishers (when you self-publish with a print-on-demand company, you have to pay a lot of money to get this option). I thought everything was set once I saw that my book was available through Borders.com, but no. So, after 5 phone calls and 2 emails which led to nothing concrete to follow through, I'm of the opinion that my time could be better spent doing something else, like building my own website.

One of the independent bookstores I was counting on to have my book signing was highly discouraging about my chances of success at his store. It's more locally driven audience and I'm not from there.

I never thought this would be easy, but it's hard to keep myself motivated and upbeat sometimes. I guess I should work on my next book....

I know the real place I need to work on is creating a buzz online, but I don't know what to do with that. I guess I need to spend my time reading upon online marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment