Thursday, January 14, 2010

In Duk

When I was a child, my mother told me I was born with in duk and that being born with in duk was better than being born wealthy. In duk literally means people luck, that people you meet in your life's journey will help you along the way.

Well, making a decent living as a writer is my dream that I'm working on, but there is a dream that's dearer to my heart. I want to see my book translated into Korean because I want my parents to be able to read it. Yes, that is the sad reality of immigrants. Even though my parents have lived here over 30 years, their conversation was limited to asking customers what they want and how much things cost (they've owned several small businesses). And they never had the luxury of time to attend ESL classes (even though they both wanted to) since they often held more than two jobs or worked all the overtime offered to make ends meet while we were growing up.

Well...today I met a group of writers at the Korean-American writer's group meeting who were fascinating to talk to and learn from. These were writers and poets who were in their 50's and older. They graciously shared their insights with me and encouraged me. I'm hoping that they'll be able to point me in the right direction as far as getting my book published in Korean. Of course, I can pay a translator and self-publish a Korean version of my book, but I'm hoping that the material is compelling enough to find some Korean publisher who is willing to take a risk.

I had a wonderful time, but I had to leave in the middle of the meeting because I had to go pick up my son from his school (it was a long meeting). I guess that's it's like for a part-time writer and a full-time mom.

I'm praying for my in duk to kick in. A new hope is gestating in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment