Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Goals

I had hoped to have a "running start" in 2010, but I have yet to schedule a single event due to getting sick on New Year's Eve and fever finally breaking 4 days later. Needless to say, it was not an aspiring start.

There are three predominant ways to contact a book store manager and have them schedule an event for your book - email, phone call, or going there in person. Well, to be honest, first two ways just don't work, for me anyway. I have yet to have any of them reply my email or call me back. Compounding this problem is that when I do have time during mornings and early afternoons, these managers are seldom in the store because they usually come in late and get off close to the closing time. If I could drive around in the late afternoons and evenings, this matter would be simple to deal with, but I have two young kids and it's difficult to find time. So, I'll just have to make time in the evenings to call.... I have to remember that it's me that's chasing a dream. Not them. I need to be thankful for their time and consideration.

I have set some goals (some lofty and others not so lofty....)
1. Schedule an event every week.
2. Sold about 200 books last year. Sell 2,000 this year? When I do the math, I want to laugh and give up, but heck, I was always a dreamer....
3. Finish editing my first book (I can't remember how many times I've edited this manuscript and I'm definitely not looking forward to it again) and query (landing an agent would just make my year) or have it ready for self-publication by the end of the year (Waiting for Appa is the second book I've completed).

I've listed another two books for Goodreads.com's book giveaway. That's a great way to get exposure and get reviews. I'm happy to say that the reviews are positive. I need to find more ways to get online exposure.

Ultimately, I am so profoundly grateful to have this opportunity to chase my dream. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment