Thursday, January 21, 2010

Encouraging events

You know, when you make $37.40 for a quarter (yes, a quarter, not a month, not a week, but for three months of book sales) of royalties, you quickly learn not to expect too much. But when you don't expect too much (I don't know how I can expect anything at that point), you get pleasantly surprised. My second quarter's royalties may inch above $70! Imagine that!

Although I couldn't schedule an event last week, I was able to schedule a book signing at a Barnes and Noble bookstore in Fremont, CA this week. I think I'm off to a good start.

Now on to writing...unfortunately I haven't written anything, BUT I've been doing a lot of thinking and plotting. The bad part is I'm still torn between young adult fantasy which allows me to have a lot of fun and share that with my voraciously reading son or a literary fiction which takes me to the Japanese prisons of occupied Korea. Hmmm.... It would be an easy choice if it hadn't been for the fact that the literary fiction is about 60% done (even if I rewrite much of it) and agents responded very well to it last time. I did have an agent for it in 2000, but she couldn't sell it after having the 5 major publishing houses take a look at it. So..., here I am. Conflicted and procrastinating.

Poetry. I really wish I could write it, but I can't. If there's a book that can teach me to write it, I want to know the title of the book. For the YA fantasy, I need to write a small segment of prophesy and I would love to do it in verse, but I can't. I'm just not a poet and I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment