Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Success!

I didn't have time to blog this weekend, so I'm several day behind.

On November 21, I had my first book signing at Barnes and Noble on Stevens Creek Blvd. I wasn't nervous, until I saw the bookstore come into my view. Then my stomach churned. I wondered...what am I doing here? I hope I won't embarrass myself....

When I walked into the store, I saw the poster stand with my book cover and my picture and I thought, here I am. At a real bookstore, like a real author. When I introduced myself at the customer service center, they started moving things around a bit to make room for a small table with a stack of twenty books. I was joking with Kelly (the community relations manager at Barnes and Noble) that I was hoping I won't be an embarrassment. She smiled and told me not to worry about it. I tried not to worry about it, but as person after person walked passed my table to the bestseller bookshelves (which was conveniently located very close to my table), I was thinking...one. Can I get one? Just one? Pleeeeease?

Then I saw friends from Matheson (where I worked in the mid 90's) come and I was so happy. These are the guys who wouldn't read a book like mine, but they came out to support me. Then one after another, my friends (still from Matheson) came and bought books. Then people from my church came and bought books. Another friend bought six books. Just over an hour, I had sold thirteen books! I had hoped to sell twenty (I didn't know they only had twenty ready). Even though my book signing was only for an hour, I stayed for another hour and sold one book to a total stranger! I told her she made my day.
When I was getting ready to go home, Kelly told me to sign the rest (six books) for them to sell as signed copies, and that it was better than expected turnout for a books signing. Yipee!

On this day, I've learned that I am blessed to have such good friends and that book by book, I'll find my audience. That one sale to a stranger gave me a lot of hope for the future. I have another book signing coming up on 12/1. It's on Tuesday. 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. I'm afraid this is going to be a deadzone time slot. Getting off to work. Going home to family. Stop by at Barnes and Noble to check out Waiting for Appa? I still believe in miracles and I'm hoping to sell five to ten books.

Right now, I'm still celebrating the success of my first book signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment