Friday, November 20, 2009

Last minute marketing efforts....

I know I should have done this sooner. Ideally, on Monday or Wednesday, but working against the law of the Universe conspiring to make your dreams come true (The Alchemist) is the Murphy's law. So, here I am, the day before my very first book signing, I'm driving up and down El Camino and Stevens Creek looking for a place to post my flyer and get the word out. This would be a prime example of WHAT NOT TO DO, but I'm hoping that this is better than nothing.

Here are some of my triumphs:

* Starbucks on Lawrence and El Camino was AWESOME. Very friendly. Very visible.

* I've posted flyers on the bulletin boards in Korean grocery stores (they are located in the most visually challenged wall space between the two bathrooms down a long and narrow hallway). I'm not holding out too much hope.

* Cafe Java on El Camino and near San Thomas. Very Friendly. Very visible.

* Starbucks at Valley Fair. Very Friendly. Very visible.

Note to anyone who is going down this path: Not all Starbucks are open to flyers. Some are only open to flyers from non-profit organizations (I thought I saw a flyer of other persuasion, but I wasn't going to argue. What would be the point?)

So, after two tall decaf cafe lattes and an Odwalla I don't need, I feel quite happy with what I've accomplished this morning. Of course, I've posted the events on my accounts on Facebook and Goodreads.com as well as sending out emails to my friends and acquaintances who may be interested. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that I'll have a decent turnout.

On another front, I just learned that my book is now available through Borders. Yipee! Next week, I'll be driving around Palo Alto, Milpitas, etc. to talk to Border's stores. I'm hoping that the books lovers I don't know, yet, will think $15 for a signed book is a good price for a present/stocking stuffer for another book lover. Is it merely a wishful thinking in this economy? I don't know.... Wish me luck. I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment