Monday, November 17, 2014

Formatting Issues 2

I've addressed formatting process I went through in the previous blog. Here, I'll address specific site issues I've experienced.

Kobo~ 
  • Upload to it's site was easy enough, but I couldn't preview the upload. Without being able to preview, I wouldn't know how it'd look on a device, so I contacted the customer support, but customer support said there was no problem on their side. So, I uploaded a couple of times more, but I still couldn't preview.
  • I'm sure there was a solution, but I didn't feel like working through it on my own. So, I abandoned this site for now. I'll definitely go back to it at a later date.  
Nookpress/Barnes and Noble~ 
  • Uploaded my manuscript several times - .doc, .epub, and .docx files, and I found that .docx file works the best for errors I have, which are formatting (specifically indentation) errors. 
  • For my indentation errors, I've found that I need to either tab for indentations or return/enter after a tabbed paragraph. I'm not sure it makes sense, but it wasn't a difficult fix, but rather tedious one. I had to make the corrections in .docx, then upload it again. I checked every indentation (in both .docx and once uploaded on Nookpress site), so it was really boring but essential.
Kindle/Amazon (Similar to Nookpress)~
  • Same as Nookpress.Uploaded my manuscript several times - .doc, .epub, and .docx files, and I found that .docx file works the best for errors I have, which are formatting (specifically indentation) errors. 
  • Several years back, it was .epub file with some corrections (font size, bold/italic issues) done in html, but this time .docx file worked the best. This is great since I don't know html, and I was guessing as I went along. However, this may work better for others. Again, I used Calibre ebook management site to convert my files.
  • Same as Nookpress. For my indentation errors, I've found that I need to either tab for indentations or return/enter after a tabbed paragraph. I'm not sure it makes sense, but it wasn't a difficult fix, but rather tedious one. I had to make the corrections in .docx, then upload it again. I checked every indentation (in both .docx and once uploaded on Nookpress site), so it was really boring but essential. 
For Kindle authors, there are a lot of videos you can watch under KDP select on Youtube, and I'm sure there are formatting videos out there, but I haven't searched for them before. I'll definitely watch a couple of those before I write my next book for Kindle/Nookpress.

Good luck with your writing! 

I'm trying out different covers for Five Stones. Any preferences?



















No comments:

Post a Comment