Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I'm confused....

Hello, there. I am writing my blogs more diligently in the last couple of months, but not this one. It's not because I didn't want to write, but I had nothing to write about because I'm waiting. Waiting to hear back from Kirkus Review Indie about my book review.

Well, I heard back yesterday, but I'm perplexed by the request more than anything. When I signed up for the Kirkus Review Indie, I had two options to choose from - upload a digital copy of my book or send in two hard copies of my book. Being an old-fashioned person that I am, I chose to send in two hard copies (they were 400+ pages x 2) to the Kirkus Review office in New York. Kirkus Review received my book on 5/6, and yesterday, 5/27, it requested that I send in a digital version of my title that they want to keep on hand for "fact-checking" purposes. What does that mean? Why does it need to "fact-check" fiction, not even historical fiction, but commercial fiction? Can anyone tell me? I'm too new to this process, and I don't know what it means.

So..., I wrote back asking if there are any concerns. If this was a standard practice. And he replied back and said that they like to fact check their reviews against the text of the book and "the digital versions are very helpful in aiding that process." I guess that's an explanation, but if I had wanted to send a digital version, I would have done that from the beginning, instead of spending the money on postage to send 800+ pages to them.

I'm just wondering....if this is a standard practice. When I review a book, I do it with a real book, not an e-reader. So, why can't they just use my manuscript (2 copies) to write the review and check it against that. The info hasn't changed, right?

I guess I'm a little weary of sending a digital copy of my unpublished manuscript to anyone. Any advice on this? I'd really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment