Friday, October 29, 2010

Writing 101

In the two weeks I'm taking off from looking at my current book, I've started to write Gorgoyian Chronicles #3 for my son (a young adult book). Whenever I come back to write a book for my son, I remember how much fun I had writing it the last time. I wrote books for his birthdays and Christmas. I try to keep up with that, but it's really challenging. I've discovered that although I could have a stack of books on my night stand and try to read all of them (I'm actually quite successful at jumping between books. I'm sure most of you are, too, especially one or several of them are turning out to be surprising bores), I can't seem to write two vastly different books simultaneously (it was a dismal failure last time). But just because I failed last time, that doesn't mean I'll fail this time. So, I'm going to start editing my current book and write book #3 for my son.

Going back to writing.... What's important is that you write. Period. Although I complain, sometimes quite bitterly, about editing, I think it is easier than writing fresh stuff, especially if you're experiencing a writer's block. With my son's book, I'm trying to keep a chapter relatively short (5 pages) and if I push myself to write a chapter everyday (this is pushing it), then I could possibly have a good length book (1st draft. All the books I write for him are 1st drafts. They're probably not fit for anyone else's eyes except for my son's and mine) for him on Christmas.

So, start today. Write your pages for today (you decide the length that's most comfortable and encouraging for you) and keep on writing them until you have a book. I truly believe that all of us have stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment