Monday, October 25, 2010

Need of an inspiration

I got whammied yesterday. I entered a self-published book contest and found out that I didn't place anywhere, which is quite discouraging, even if I knew in my heart that this was a long shot. There is a big difference between knowing and having it shoved in your face. So, I've got to get over that.

The other thing is...I've been pretty laxed about scheduling book talks or book signings because I've been looking for a job. I don't mind talking in front of people, but I find it very difficult to stand in a bookstore chatting with people (easier) or standing alone wishing for someone to come up to me and talk to me (I don't even have to sell a book. I just don't want to stand alone). But I need to schedule more events, especially since I've already paid $300 to have my book stay "returnable" for another year.

The thing is...I've sold between four to fourteen books at a single book signing event. I've got to do a lot of these to make any kind of progress. I need to figure out a way to create demand online. If I ever figure this thing out, I'll be sure to share it. I keep thinking, I'm sure I can figure this thing out....

My next book update -

I've finished it, but I need to fix the ending and shorten the length of the book. for a first time author, the target page length is 350 pages. My current book is at ~450+. I've taken out a lot of material, but I've also had to put in a lot of historical material to "anchor" the book in the period.

This editing process looms before me and I feel quite intimidated by it. Yikes. wish me luck.

I really do wish I could have something more or better to write about on my blogs, but at this point, it's only this. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment