Monday, September 13, 2010

Moments of Laughter

I'm trying, once again (nth time, I stopped counting after my 5th attempt a while back), to schedule a book signing at a Borders store in my own town. Because my book doesn't have a BINC#, it's hard to find, even on their own computer data base (although it shows up on their online store). I haven't figured out how to get a BINC# because I haven't had the opportunity to speak to a real live person about it. So, here I am. Doing my own search to 1)make sure it's on there, and 2) more importantly, they can find it. Don't get me wrong. People I spoke to were very nice and trying to be helpful, but it's the process that's cumbersome and confusing. So, I'm waiting, once again, but I am determined to win this battle.

As I was waiting, I thought I'd check Barnes and Noble and Amazon. On Amazon, now only could you buy my book for $13.50, but you can also buy a signed copy of my book from between $19.98 and $25.00. That gets me laughing out loud because I can't believe there's someone (two people) out there charging extra for my signature. It's flattering, but very funny and uplifting (in some weird sense). So, I guess my signature, at this point, is worth at least $6.48. But since these have been there for months now, it could be the same two books languishing in someone's garage. So, it's higly likely that my signature, at this point, is worth nothing. I'm still laughing about this.

Updates from my current book:

I've never been really interested in Korean history. I've read all I could on Irish, English, Egyptian, Mayan, Incan, Sumerian, etc. histories. With this current book, I'm looking more into Korean history and I'm proud to say that I'm Korean. We've been through so much. I didn't know this, but after the Korean War, Korea and Kenya had the same GDP in the early 1950's. It's amazing where Korea is now today, but I credit much of that with the Cold War and the incredible amount of aid America had given Korea (thanks to Russia, China, and North Korea). I wonder if Korea and Kenya had switched places, would it languish in third world status today?

No comments:

Post a Comment