Sunday, September 26, 2010

Love of words and battle scenes

I guess it seems natural that an avid reader and writer would love words. I do. Not only that, but I want to understand where these words come from and how they all connect to one another.

Many scholars have studied the connections between Sanskrit and languages of the western world (Latin, English, Spanish, etc.), but what I find fascinating is the connections from all over the world.

Here are my examples:

Appa in Korean means daddy, but not in a childish sense. It's a more intimate way of saying dad. I still call my dad "appa."

Abba in Hebrew, from what I understand, is like the Korean use of appa.

Baba in Chinese is the same.

Appa has the same meaning in Hindi as in Korean (my neighbor told me).

Oppa in Dutch means...grandfather.

Oppa in Korean means older brother (from a younger sister to an older brother).

Umma/omma in Korean means mommy, but not in a childish sense. Again, it's a more intimate way to say mom. I still call my mom "umma."

Om is Egyptian language (Arabic) is mother.

Umma has the same meaning in Hindi as in Korean.

Aren't these connections just wonderful to think about? Korean to Chinese to Hindi, I can sort of explain away. But to go on to Hebrew, Dutch, and Arabic? I would love to have enough time to follow this thread, but I don't. If any of you know of anything regarding this, please let me know.

In some broader sense, this does make sense to me. Mommy and Daddy are the two people we all learn, very quickly, to rely on and call for help. So, it does make sense to me that they should be based on the easiest sounds we could make as infants.

Current book update:

Took me two days to write one chapter (7 pages long). I had expected more, but I just couldn't do it. Maybe it's because I don't write that kind of books, but it was incredibly difficult to write a sequence of battle scenes. I thought, heck, there are history books where I could get the facts from. How difficult could it be to write a chapter about Pusan Perimeter? Well, I applaud all those writers who write this stuff everyday.

To write this chapter, I had to read a lot about the Korean war, battle for Korea, Pusan Perimeter, etc. One thing I have to say is that I came away with a profound sense of gratitude for all those who gave their lives to save Republic of Korea. Maybe that's why it was so hard to write it.... Every picture I saw, I was thinking - you were someone's beloved son, husband, brother, uncle, etc. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment